Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Changes.

I think about my future puppy all the time.

For awhile I thought it was a little pathetic.  And I guess to outsiders, it probably is.  But the truth of the matter is, I've made a completely life changing decision.  This isn't a haircut, a new diet or even a new apartment... he is a living, breathing thing that needs the be cared for and loved.  This is over a decade of commitment. I will no longer be able to just leave for the night or weekend.  I can't stay out too late after work.  I will have something waiting at home, depending on me and relying on me to be there. But on the other side, I will have something to go home to.  I'll have a pet that gives me unconditional love.  It's a big commitment, but for the past 6 months plus I've thought about it and considered it, and now it's finally becoming real.

So like I said, I think about my puppy all the time.  When I go to Target and see small fleece blankets on sale, 2 for $5, I think, "Blankets are on my puppy list."  When I see special Christmas toys, I think, "Toys are on my puppy list."  I read nutrition info on dog food/treats and wander around the pet store.  I research (and have since purchased) different collar/leash/harness ensembles. I check the price of Greenies and check how big a litre food bowl really is.  I think about things like making sure my future pet gets enough calcium and vitamin D after he comes home with me. This is becoming very, very real.

And I know I sounds mostly crazy, because I don't yet have the pup.  But it's a huge change for me and my life, and being the perfectionist I am, I want to make sure I am completely ready.  And I think I will be within the next month when he's ready to come home with me.

I've been told he's mischievous.  He manages to get himself into places he can't get out of yet because his eyes still aren't open.  He's an only child (his littermates died after a few days) so he's spoiled by of all six adult dogs he lives with.  He likes to sing in the morning and cries when he's left alone at night.  He's a tiny guy with his own, very vibrant personality.

So it's a big life change, but one I can't wait to embark on.

No comments: