Saturday, October 18, 2008

Apple Fest!

Arggg... don't you hate it when you write a big long post out and then accidentally refresh the page or something and have to retype it?  I do.

Today was the Apple Festival at UBC Botanical Gardens!  The roommate and I went, stopping first at MIX Bakery in West Point Grey (I had a sour cream coffee cake and apple cider) before heading to brave the crowds.  The fest was awesome!  They had over 60 varieties of apples for sale (but some were sold out by the time we got there) and a number of them were from ancient varieties and one was even just recently discovered in nearby Crawston, BC!  We picked up 4 bags, a bag of Elstar and Honeycrisp for immediate enjoyment, some Belle de Boskoop for baking/cookies (apple pie anyone?) and a bag of Gloster to eat after Christmas... they need to ripen for a couple of months after picking.  

Also, in case the 2 or 3 people who read this didn't already know, I have a job!  I'm working in a local coffee shop as a part-time baker, part-time till person.  It's been great so far, I'm definitely enjoying the shop and getting to know the people who work there.  They have made me feel so welcome from the first time I met them all, and I am definitely looking forward to the next few months of getting to know them

So I guess thats about it...  just mostly been working and enjoying Vancouver!!

No comments: