Thursday, August 13, 2009

Fourteen.



Yesterday I read that it takes 13 classes to really get into Bikram yoga. Today was my 14th class. And let me tell you, it was leaps and bounds better than the last.

The first Bikram class I attended, I hated every minute of. During savasana I stared at the ceiling thinking how much I wanted "normal" yoga right at that moment and was never coming back, screw the 10-day pass I'd just purchased. But after I left the room the first time, I felt incredible. So I went back the next day, and again, I hated it, but not quite so much as the first time... and again, when I left the room, I felt incredible. Here I am, 3 weeks and 14 classes later committed to approximately 12 months of unlimited Bikram yoga.

How did I get here from where I was 3 weeks ago? I have no idea. But I know my shoulder pain is mostly gone. I eat less. I drink more water. I sleep better. Etc etc etc.

My poses have improved drastically over the past several weeks as well. Day 1--I'm slightly embarassed to say--I was so proud of myself with how well I could do all the poses, and I only had to lay down three times! But I didn't do the poses correctly, and that's okay. Now I pick a specific body part to focus on (it's been legs the past few classes) and make sure I have that body part correct in every single pose.

Today I pushed my backbend further than I have before and it felt amazing! My spine popped a little but I almost felt as though I could hold the pose forever...

Do you practice any form of yoga? How long have you been practicing? What changes, good or bad, have you noticed?

No comments: