Saturday, August 29, 2009

The State of my Roth IRA

The past several years have wreaked havoc on people's retirement accounts as stocks plummeted and recovery is slow. Luckily I have 40 more years before I can retire so my teensy account has plenty of time to recover....

But today, for the heck of it, I checked my Roth IRA. On the right-hand side of the screen capture below, you can see where I have put in exactly $8,150 and my currently value if cashed out today would be $8,080.62 for a return of -69.38. Now, considering the state the economy has been in I consider this great news. Not a 10% return over the past few years, but I have been able to essentially stockpile shares at low, low prices while I waited for the market to recover.

My 401(k) should be beginning soon and I am looking forward to the opportunity to grow my retirement fund. That will be a whole different post when I have to figure out how to allocate funds to both in order to maximize my investments...

How do you manage your retirement funds? Do you have multiple accounts across different types of investments?

No comments: