Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"CASH ONLY"

After spending a wonderful 5 days with my mom when she came to visit (maybe I will do a post on that someday?), I have been back to the real world of work.  I baked Sunday and then took Mom to the airport.  I baked Monday, helped a co-worker shop for shoes/accessories, crashed from pure exhaustion and did nothing yesterday.  Then today, all hell broke loose.

I should have known when I woke up this morning that it was going to be a rough day.  Although really, things were going pretty smoothly then.  I made it to work on time.  But when I walked up to the door at 5:15 am there was a big sign that said "CASH ONLY."  Oh dear, the tills are broken again.  But hey!  We can just call Halo and they will fix it.  Au contraire.

The 6:30 supervisor was late, which was bad for me since I was feeling slightly frazzled already.  Everything progressed fairly smoothly (no temper tantrums yet) and before I knew it it was break time.  On my break I bought an aranciata in a bottle and discovered it wasn't a twist top.  I should have known then that it was going to be a really rough day.

When I came back after my break, not only were the cash registers still not accepting debit, credit or gift cards, but now they didn't accept cash either.  They were BRO-KEN.  So, instead, the two people on till had broken out the good ole' pen, paper and a calculator.  So from 9:45 to 1:15 we did everything.  By hand. It was a great excerise of the memory (to remember product prices) and the mind (to calculate change).  We also had to code the drinks by hand and run them over to the bar for the baristas.  Luckily, everything was running pretty smoothly once we developed a system.  One person wrote down the order, added it up and took care of the money; one person wrote the drinks down and ran to the bar; and the last took care of things like food, drip coffees and whole beans.  

It was a very taxing, hilarious and all-around sort-of fun day.  That is, if I don't have to repeat it again tomorrow.

No comments: