Monday, December 14, 2009

8: Moment of Peace


An hour or a day or a week of solitude. What was the quality of your breath? The state of your mind? How did you get there?

At the farthest edge of the earth I've ever been to, in Churchill, Manitoba, standing on the edge of a frozen Hudson Bay long past when all the residents had fallen asleep. We were hunting Aurora Borealis, but the silence was astounding and I can honestly say I've never seen so many stars in my life.

I could feel every ounce of the bitterly cold Arctic air that I took in as I stood on the frozen banks and stared up at the sky, willing the ancient Inuit spirits to send the lights. Unfortunately, that night they didn't, but I was able to stand there and just be aware of how small and insignificant I really am in this world compared to all that has come before and all that will come after me.

1 comment: