Friday, September 18, 2009

Miscellaneous Thoughts on $

I spent most of the day re-reading the archives over at Get Rich Slowly. Over the years since I found the blog, J.D. has put out some really great articles about real life money management... he (and his guest bloggers) have covered pretty much every aspect of retirement planning and budgeting, what to do when you're a saver and your spouse is a spender, how to prepare kids for financial intelligence, and even brings up hard topics about what to do when you're financially smart but your family isn't. The commentors on every single post only further the usefulness and wealth of information.

I have managed to come up with a fairly long list of books on Paperback Swap over the past few weeks... there's something strangely satisfying about anxiously waiting for the books you want, hoping they'll come soon, instead of running out and buying it brand new whenever the whim strikes me.

I need to read every book in my collection and list at least 75% of them. I already feel as though I'm accumulating too much Stuff and would love to practice cutting it down early. Interestingly enough, my danger isn't in clothes and shoes like most people I know, but rather books and garden supplies. Go figure.

Since we're already more than halfway through September (and my no-buy is STILL going strong!), I've started thinking about doing wrap ups in a few months of my financial year and lay out my financial goals for 2010.

(Side note... It occured to me recently that next year is 2010. I thought back to 1999 when Y2K was all the talk at this point. I'm really glad that never happened.)

Are there any big financial goals you'll be working towards this next year?

No comments: