Friday, February 20, 2009

Castor, the mini-Munny

I finally started work on my mini-Munny last night (after dragging him to Churchill and back) and definitely did not start with my original drawings.  I came up with the idea of "night" at first.  I decided that I should have a sun in the darkness, and what started out as a small yellow sun ended up taking over the entire head.

Although I generally stick to paints as an artistic medium, I don't have all my colors in Vancouver and it just seemed easier to use permanent markers for this project.  So, I got out my bag of markers and started to color.

This picture is when I had pretty much finished the sun part of the head before venturing onward....

So I started my night scene which, if you ask me was pretty terrible looking next to the beautiful sun I had created on Munny's head.  So, I brought out my trusty black Sharpie and it disappeared.  After that I thought Munny was kind of ugly, but what do I know?  Maybe I am too close to the project.  So I run Munny out to my roommate, she thinks he looks fine, so I take him out on the balcony (and this is 10 pm at night, not the best idea I've ever had) and give him a matte finish.  Well, now Munny is slightly sticky AND the marker ran.  Oh well, I'll love him anyway.

The runs kind of add to the abstractness I was going for in the sun, so thats not so bad.  The stickiness, however, is truly annoying.  If anyone out there in the great world of the internet has any suggestions on how to make my Munny not sticky anymore, I would appreciate the advice.

(I know I am supposed to prime him, but I figured since I was using Sharpie markers I didn't need to.  Oh well, you live and you learn.)

So overall, I'm mostly happy with the way he turned out.    My mom (Hi Mom!) gave me the idea to use a star name, because lets face it, the sun is just a star.

So, since Munny is a guy, and I really like the name Pollux, I decided I should do twins. I'll pick up another Munny, do a similar one (aka better executed) and then I'll have Castor and Pollux, the Gemini!  This little guy is Castor and his twin will be Pollux.

After these two, I am thinking a series of Greek/Roman gods and godesses would be pretty cool.  Do my own artistic interpretation of the various dieties.  It'd be neat!  Now, I just have to pick up some more Munnys!





No comments: