Monday, February 2, 2009

Rescuing my rotting Pachira

Several days ago when I was cleaning my room, I knocked over my $5 Target halogen lamp and broke the lightbulb... the element was knocked out of place in the fall.  I was bummed, but figured it could be a good thing since it meant 1 less thing to transport back to the States in the move.

I was mostly bummed because that meant I would have to live a month without a lamp.  Amazingly, I discovered that if I jiggled it around a little and stood it mostly upright, the element would touch where it needs to be and the lamp works!  As long as I don't move it.

I discovered a white fungus growing on one of the trunks of my money tree today...  I'm not sure the humid, but very cold climate is all that great for my little palm tree, but soon she'll be back in Texas in the hot and arid climate, which is apparently what this little tree needs.  I've been overwatering her a little.


Anyway, my point is that there was a white fungus/mold growing and I'd noticed before that a couple of the trunks looked to be rotting.  So I went to the internet to search for a solution.  I perused Money Tree (Pachira) boards and discovered that it was as I have been suspecting for some time: the trunks were dead.  Not just dead, DEAD.  So, I removed them.  I had to untangle four of the six trunks, pull out their rotting roots and throw them away.  First though, I took pictures, so you could see my dead trunks.


The tree looks so much healthier an dhappier now that I removed the rotting/moldy trunks intertwined with it... hopefully now that I am taking care of the little one, she'll bring me the good fortune she is supposed to!

This is where my mostly broken halogen lamp comes in... I am facing it toward the money tree, because apparently she doesn't get enough light in Vancouver with all the clouds, so artificial indoor light actually helps!  Hopefully my plant will survive till we get back to Texas (I am afraid all the moving will hurt them...) and then do really well.

No comments: