Sunday, February 21, 2010

C25K

Even though I didn't get to bed until pretty late last night I woke up at 8 am this morning (before my alarm went off) and was excited to get out of bed and go for a run. After the run/climb yesterday I felt so energized... like I've only experienced after a really good yoga class. I've always hated running before, but for the first time I wanted to do more.

My brother told me about this program yesterday called Couch to 5k, or C25K. Basically its a program for people who don't work out to be running a 5k within 9 weeks. I looked at the online version, but since I don't have a watch I can use while running I started checking out iPhone podcasts. Then I ran across the app... you run your own music, it keeps time for you and has the workouts all laid out and it tells you when to switch. Even thought $3 is a little hefty for me for an iPhone app, I bought it and tried it out this morning.

I started running without any specific route in mind and was pleasantly surprised when it told me I had hit the halfway mark so I was able to start heading back. Turns out in the 30 mins I managed to jog/walk 3.12 miles today... a 5k! I also had a 5 minute walk back to my apartment once it ended, but that put me on pace for a 11 min/mile which isn't too bad considering I haven't done any serious running (minus yesterday) since I was a senior in high school.

I'm going to see if there are any 5k runs starting in May, but if not I'll probably have to wait until September or October... there aren't many runs during the summer here! There's also another climb in May, only 32 flights (instead of the 90 I did yesterday) so I'm considering doing that.

No comments: